Larsmo rural area is separated from the mainland by a narrow channel
and bay. There is also a collection of islands and Larsmo is connected
to the mainland by 5 bridges.
hills and depressions in the ground fill a large part of the main
island terrain. The depressions are often marshes filled with peat
moss and brush. In the church village are the following marshes: Molnviken,
Degerträsket, Västerviken, etc. There are also piles of
stone lying about. The largest watercourses in the archipelago are
Gloskärsfjärden, Hästöfjärden and Kalvholmsfjärden.
All of them are full of small hardwood growth and reed covered islets.
church village does not consist of compact residential groups as in
other Ostrobothnian villages. Nearest to Jakobstad are Risöhäll
and Lillfuruholm. Then following the first group of houses in old
Larsmo is Grev named after Polycarpus Cronhjälm, most
known for his great penury. His merit is that Larsmo became a parish
next farm group is Strömsholm or Styrmans. Then follows Byggmästar
or Tommosfolk, as it is still called. After Tommosfolk there is Slussnäs.
Farther away lies Käld and Bräsk farms, including Byåkern,
the oldest cultivation in Larsmo. It was said that the Russians had
burned a farm during Stora Ofreden (the great Northern War with Russia
in the early 1700s). It was also referred to as the Great Wrath.
In the west lies Kackur and Sämskar.
are more houses and farm groups in Larsmo church village: Litens or
Småsus (Småsunds), Holm, Hannula, Sandvik, Fagernäs
and Fagerudd. The last two were formerly called Fagernäs-Grels.
neighbouring village of Eugmo is found the oldest dwelling place in
Larsmo Finnäs farm. The previously mentioned Cronhjälm
lived at Gertruds in the same village. Runebergs hunting comrade
Blyas Ant (Anders Bly) who took part in the 1808-09 war also lived
was of great importance for many Larsmo residents. It is the main
industry for about a fourth of the population. In the winter during
stormy and rainy weather, the fishermen repaired their gear and bragged
of their accomplishments. Whitefish and salmon were considered the
had long been one of the main village industries. During the last
decades it has made considerable progress. The recently determined
land parceling will surely come to work to the advance of the industry.
were celebrated on a large scale during the 1890s and beginning
of the 1900s. The bride wore a large crown and the celebration
lasted three days, but on the third day the crown was put away. The
crown was used for the last time in Larsmo in 1920.
it was said that the guests exchanged a separate gift for a dance
with the bride. The lowest gift was 25 pennis, but each time that
he danced with the bridge, he was required to drink a toast (skål).
The last time this custom was followed was when Maja Lisa Litens and
Kammar-Jock were married in 1885.
the guests were invited from the nearby surroundings, both large and
small, to bread and schnapps early Sunday morning, around 6 oclock.
After the burial the guests ate plentifully of food and schnapps.
In 1902 the custom of serving guests at funerals ceased. The temperance
movement had gotten its first foothold.
residents are, to a large extent, characterized by special Österbottniska
qualities, outspoken and fearless. They are also religious and freedom
loving. The fresh, free life in the rocky inlet has reared them to
be what they are.