medieval gray stone Karleby church was built ca 1500. The appearance
of that first church is not known, only that there was a choir window
in the east gable. The building represented the style of church building
used in the 1300's in Swedish Finland.
hall had a thin arch similar to the churches in Kemi and Storkyro.
Archangel Mikael was the patron saint of the church during the Catholic
period. In a picture from the 1600's one can see two small squares
that jut out from the church in the south. Both probably were church
porches or entrance halls. The east door was an entrance for the priest.
In the 1930's, near the area of the west annex in the long wall under
the floor level, an opening was found that was not bricked with gray
stone. Probably the old south door for the congregation was here.
The entrance hall was probably of wood.
1600's there was a church to the south of the church where Finnish
language services were held. No notes have been found about the fate
of that church. It was destroyed during the Stora Ofreden (war between
Finland and Russia, 1721).
the sacristry was extended with two branches. A vaulted brick wine
cellar was built under the altar in 1666. In 1759 the church was covered
with brick-colored plaster. It was probably the first time the church
was completely plastered. Inspection reports from 1760 state that
the church was 28.5 m. X 13.8 m. large. The height of the gable was
18 m. and the thickness of the walls was 1.8 m. but the walls became
thinner at the top.
1760's an expansion was planned to a cruciform of the same height
as the old church. The expansion drawings were signed by C. F. Aldercrantz
in 1786. The expansion was finished in 1789. It required many extensive
alterations. The proportions between the roof- and wall height was
another; the wall space had one architectural division with ceiling
mouldings, one in the plastered base, corner, porch, large window;
the west gable was modeled the same as the remaining gables. A church
tower was planned by C. F. Sundvall in 1797. It was finished in 1803.
traces remain of the old church that was modernized according to the
demands of the time. Some church paintings are found in the church
from the Catholic time. Some of them are from the time when the church
was built. The paintings on the choir wall were done by Christian
Hendhersson Wilbrandt in 1640. Bishop Gegelius advised the congregation
in 1698 to white-lime the inside walls. The wall paintings were painted
over probably during the first half of the 1700's.
pulpit, the oldest presently in use in Finland, was restored in 1749.
A new alter piece was done the same year. The seats were made at the
end of the 1700's but were changed 1933-34. Three paintings from 1902
are part of the present communion table.
the church was restored under the direction of Erik Kråkström.
The walls were plastered and white-limed; from 1843 the walls had
been yellow and the stone base red. The roof was partially covered
with new shingles. The cement base from the 1930's was rough-coated
with metal tiles and the tower roof had a new railing. The old paintings
found on the interior walls were restored.
the echo in the church, the walls were covered with asbestos and sound
boxes placed in the arch. A layer of glass wall insulation was put
on the arch and paneling in 1907. The floor was partially renewed.
The half-round window over the east door was again walled up and covered
the frame from the middle ages that was in the niche of the door.
of the medieval churches are preserved, one as a ruin. Jakobstad's
parish church was almost entirely restored at the end of the 1700's.
Medieval stone churches are also found in Storkyro, Närpes, Kemi
and Nedertorneå. Korsholm's church was destroyed by a fire in
Vasa in the mid-1800's. Only the ruins remain.
church is noted in Catalog #15 as an historically valuable object
in Vasa province; also in Catalog #58 as a valuable object in the
first bone house here was built in 1796. A new one was built in 1828.
The mortuary was restored in 1871 when the funeral chapel was built.
It was designed by master builder Johan Stoor. It had two doors and
eight windows, an open cupola and a paneled interior. The chapel was
restored 1948-49 from a design by Annie Krokfors.
first bone house was in the cemetery. The foundation is still visible
in the south end. When the church was changed to a cruciform church
in the mid 1700's the old cemetery became too small. A new cemetery
was established around the new bone house. When it became full, Elisabeth's
cemetery was started in 1848.
funeral chapel is an 8-sided wooden building. The roof has an 8-sided
skylight in the middle. On each side of the walls and skylight is
a small window. The main entrance is in the south toward Kyrkovägen.
The back door was changed in 1908 to a window; the floor is cement
and walls and ceiling are paneled. The original chapel was externally
painted in light gray and had an oak-stained door, white window trim,
white roof cornices and golden yellow cross. Presently the chapel
is white. The roof was first covered with shingles, but is now of
new parsonage, built in 1736-37 according to the wishes of pastor
Karl Gustaf Werander, is the oldest parsonage in its original style
still in use in Finland. It was made considerably larger than should
have been allowed by the parliamentary resolution of 1727. Pastor
Jacob Chydenius lived there 1746-66 and his son Anders lived there
to earlier parsonages, this new one had all of the rooms under one
roof. That meant that the old system of separate buildings around
a yard was abandoned. The maintenance was cheaper because only one
large building was built. It was erected on the north side of the
yard and was remarkably large, 51 ells long and 16 ells wide. The
city built two square identical rooms in the east end. The parish
built the remaining rooms, dining room, book room, large hall (16
x 14 ells) and two rooms in the western gable. The building had 16
6-paned glass windows, as tall as they were wide, 2 ells, with 2 bars
of lead. The outer door was double and the remaining 8 doors were
single with 2 mirrors in each door.
timber for the building was procured by the citizens in the late winter
of 1737 and it was built in the summer of the same year; at least
one of the rooms had woven tapestry with paintings. The entrance was
in the same style as that of many manor homes in southern Finland.
The stately parsonage had a great influence on buildings in the area.
Mayor Noreen thought the parsonage was a proper residence for a high
official. Some other wealthy citizens in the city tried to imitate
the building's splendor by building a house with more rooms. The interior
was also more impressive that previous buildings.
probable that in the beginning the parsonage lacked outer boarding.
Red boards were first customary in the 1780's and thereafter buildings
were covered with boards. The present covering is ribbed panels painted
golden yellow that were put on during the time of Anders
Chydenius. At the same time a shingle roof was put on the building.
The roof was originally covered with straw, later with boards and
the third time with wood shingles.
high pitched roof and the low walls link the parsonage of Carolinian
baroque with the prototype of the architecture of the native Swedish
manor house. When the parsonage was rebuilt in the 1870's the large
hall was divided into three parts. In front of Anders Chydenius' long
room was a modern and magnificent veranda in the style of the times.
The long room was used as a hall. In the beginning of the 1940's the
long room and front of the building were restored.
east side of the yard was a dwelling for the chaplain. The building
that was built on the site of the old parsonage was originally the
carriage shed for the new parsonage. It was here during the Finnish
war that the wounds of Wilhelm von Schwerin were tended. Later the
pastor's tenant farmer lived there with his family.
building has timber framework, covered with ribbed panels painted
red. The roof is a saddle roof and on the long side is an open porch.
The windows are 6-paned. The casing boards are white. There is a vaulted
cellar below. Above the stone entrance, on the outside, is the year
1667. It probably was the cellar of the previous parsonage.
between the parsonage on the other side of the church path are two
buildings that belong to the parsonage. Seed and grain were kept there.
Later the crofter kept his seed there. It is thought they are from
the 1700's. On the painting by Conrad Sovelius of the church and parsonage
from ca 1870, the date can be seen.
parsonage is mentioned in Catalog #15 as an historically valuable
object in Vasa province; also in Catalog #58 as one of the national
BYGGNADSKULTUR I KARLEBY by Kristina Ahmas and Tapio Väinölä,
by June Pelo