Barquentine Amalthea

The barquentine AMALTHEA sailing in command of captain M. Jansson in 1874. The AMALTHEA (35.3 x 8.7 x 4.4 m) was built at the Appelö yard in Sideby in 1871 under the direction of the shipbuilding master Gustaf Karström for the shipowner J.E. Rosenberg, Lumparland, Åland. The painting is not signed but on account of the style (particularly the gulls in the foreground) it is attributed to Benjamin Tindall.

Photo of the painting deposited at the Åland Maritime Museum by courtesy of the museum.